Experienced family law professionals in Cheadle Hulme

Minahan Hirst & Co have an experienced Family Law and Child Law department having provided legal services for Family and Child Law for over 3 decades.

We offer both flexible pricing and fixed fee services for all Family and Child related services and can also provide Legal Aid if you qualify for a Legal Funding Certificate to enable us to offer legal representation. 

We at Minahan Hirst & Co know that dealing with child arrangements when going through a separation or Divorce can be extremely difficult.  Making suitable arrangements for your children is of paramount importance and our Lawyers can help you achieve this with the minimum of stress and expense as possible.

Parental Responsibility

Parental Responsibility means the legal rights, duties, powers and responsibilities and authority a parent has for a child.  A parent with Parental Responsibility for a child has the right to make decisions about their care and upbringing. 

Parental Responsibility is acquired:-

  • If both parents are married
  • If unmarried, the mother has automatic rights and the father is named on the Birth Certificate at the time of registration after December 2003
  • Parental Responsibility Agreement
  • Court Order

Child Arrangement Orders

Formerly known as Residence and Contact Orders

In terms of child arrangements it can be difficult to know what is in the best interests of your children when you are separating and how to cope with these arrangements.  We assist you in dealing with how these arrangements can be implemented for example, who a child lives with and the time a child spends with the absent parent without the necessity of Court proceedings which can be stressful and costly.

  • Prohibited Steps Order – an Order that prevents someone from exercising their powers of Parental Responsibility
  • Specific Issues Order – an Order sought from the Family Court to deal with a specific issue that has arisen ie, education and religion
  • International or National relocation
  • Child Care Proceedings
  • Social Services intervention


Where agreement cannot be reached and it is necessary to consider making an application to Court it will be necessary for you to attend Mediation.  Mediation can be an effective way to resolve your disagreements as a Mediator can provide a solution to find common ground between you as parents. 

A mediator will listen to both parents without taking sides and they will offer practical suggestions as to ways forwards so as to reach an agreement which is in the best interests of the children as contact is the right of the child and the Mediator will focus on the children’s needs and interests.

If Mediation proves successful the Mediator will draw up a Memorandum of Understanding document which sets out what you have agreed.

Because Court proceedings are often long, stressful and costly it is important to make sure that you have exhausted all other options before you proceed with this approach.  We at Minahan Hirst have extensive experience in helping our clients to resolve these potential difficulties and distressing matters and have worked to achieve outstanding results on behalf of our clients.